As a City, we know that every day a business isn’t moving forward it's moving backwards. And we know that we need to be able to provide your business with a workforce that will not only move forward with you, but bring with them the new skills and talents you will need. Education, training and development is something that Portsmouth prides itself on- providing a highly skilled and sustainable labour pool.
All of the establishments listed below have Business/Employer Liaison staff and facilities to ensure that the curriculum and training delivered is not only accessible to all type of employed individuals, but is of the right quality and standard needed for your business.
Alternatively, there is The Association of Learning Providers for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight (ALPHI) network. The network is the connection between all the providers in the area to promote and support apprenticeship training. ALPHI also provides a service to external organisations who are looking for information on work based learning provision across the area- offering solutions to a wide range of training needs. http://alphi.org.uk/
University of Portsmouth
- Over 19,000 students on campus and is expanding and investing in new campus buildings in the city centre
- The Business School holds the Small Business Charter Silver Award, demonstrating its ability and promise to help grow business.
- The University holds Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework, the UK government's assessment of teaching excellence
- 25th in The Guardian's University Guide 2018
- The Small Business and Entrepreneurship Research Group provides a platform for research into business growth.
- The University's new £11m Future Technology Centre (FTC) is equipped to the highest standard to enable students to become innovative engineers of the future through hands-on experience of specialist technology. Students benefit from real life projects as the FTC opens its doors for companies to access its advanced facilities and specialist equipment, building relationships with local industry and bringing together the University's academic expertise and industry
- Longstanding expertise in engineering with BEng and MEng Innovation Engineering courses
- Leading courses include MSc/MEng in Mechanical Engineering (including fluid dynamics, marine autonomous systems and composites), MSc Advanced Manufacturing Technology and Digital Media.
- Both University of Portsmouth and the nearby University of Southampton have courses that rank highly in the University League Tables 2018, including Physics & Astronomy, Computer Science, Materials Technology, Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering, Chemical/Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, Environmental Science and Engineering Geology and Geotechnics
Further Education Colleges:
- One of the top performing colleges in the country for student success
- WINNER of the Training Centre of Excellence 2016 Award
South Downs College
- Beacon Status- recognised for excellence and innovation.
- real fuselage section from a Boeing 747 'Jumbo Jet' for training
- 98% overall pass rate for 'A' levels
- Student-run enterprise project, to set up and operate a 'small business'
Private training providers:
Babcock A FTSE 100 company- one of the UK’s largest apprenticeship and traineeship providers.
Design, deliver and manage the training for over 20,000 apprentices each year
- Delivers approximately 150 corporate courses.
- Praised as an example of good practice in Apprenticeship training by Ofsted
- The oldest established private technical training provider in the UK.
Centres of Excellence:
Centre of Excellence in Construction, Energy & Sustainable Technologies
- Located at Highbury College, Portsmouth.
- One of the top providers of construction training in the country
- Industry standard workshops, realistic working environments and a specialist construction library
Centre of Excellence in Engineering, Manufacturing and Advanced Skills Training (CEMAST)
- FE College of the Year 2018
- Located at Fareham College, approx. 8 miles from Portsmouth City Centre.
- Central training facility for over 900 Full Time and Part Time Student
- Created in partnership with local industry leaders Inc. BAE, Virgin Atlantic and Burgess Marine.
Boatbuilding Skills Training Centre Boathouse 4
- Based in the Historic Dockyard, Portsmouth
- Home to the International Boatbuilding Training College Portsmouth, and Highbury College
- Training in the techniques of traditional boatbuilding and other related skills
University Technical College
- Specialising in advanced manufacturing and electrical & mechanical engineering