Portsmouth is predicted to be in the top 10 UK cities for the fastest economic growth in 2018. It has over 7500 businesses and is currently ranked in the top 20 cities for GVA.
The Portsmouth workforce is one to be proud of. Portsmouth's working population size is not only 4% higher than the UK average, but it continues to grow year on year. Not only does Portsmouth have the numbers of workers to help your business grow, but these workers have unparalleled access to training and educational facilities to ensure they have the skills your business needs.
- The population of 216,000 is expected to grow 11% from 216,000 to 238,000 approx. in the next 20 years.
- Second only to London, Portsmouth's population density means it has a large resident workforce available.
- 92.9% of the population speak English, with other languages including: French, Chinese, Bengali, Arabic, Polish, and Bengali.
- The size of the working age population is more than 4% higher than the UK average.
- Apprenticeship starts have grown by 20% in the last year.
- Potential labour market: 41% students compared to UK average of 26.1%
- Average weekly earnings of £515.10 compared to UK average of £541.00
- Amount of working population educated to Level 3 standard is 5% higher than UK average.
University of Portsmouth - 19,000 students on campus and is expanding and investing in new campus buildings in the city centre.
- 37th best in the UK
- One of the world's top 100 new universities
- Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework
- 96.5% of graduates are working or in further study within six months of graduation
- University of Portsmouth Business School holds the Small Business Charter Silver Award
- Small Business and Entrepreneurship Research Group provides a platform for research into business growth
- Centres of Excellence include the following:
- Satellite Application
- Biomechanics Laboratory
- Environmental Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Solent Autonomous Test Bed
- Advanced Games Research group
- Institute of Biomedical and Biomolecular Science
- Advanced Composite Structures
- Risk, Counter Fraud and Cyber Resilience
- Forensic Innovation Centre
- Cybercrime Awareness Clinic
- Centre for Healthcare Modelling and Informatics
- Computational Intelligence Research Group
- Low Carbon Initiatives and Materials
- Extreme Environmental Medicine and Science
- Environmental Technology and Management
- Logistics, Operational Research and Analytics
The University's new £11m Future Technology Centre (FTC) is equipped to the highest standard to enable students to become innovative engineers of the future through hands-on experience of specialist technology. The University of Portsmouth has five faculties - Science, Technology, Creative and Cultural Industries, Humanities and Portsmouth Business School. Leading courses include MSc/MEng in Mechanical Engineering (including fluid dynamics, marine autonomous systems and composites), MEng Innovation Engineering, MSc Advanced Manufacturing Technology, MSc Digital Media and BSc Computer Animation and Visual Effects.
Both University of Portsmouth and University of Southampton have courses that rank highly in the University League Tables 2018, including Physics & Astronomy, Computer Science, Materials Technology, Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering, Chemical/Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, Environmental Science and Engineering Geology and Geotechnics.
Solent Enterprise Zone lies just 3 miles to the west of Portsmouth. Fareham College’s Centre of Excellence in Engineering, Manufacturing and Advanced Skills Training (CEMAST), based in the Solent Enterprise Zone, provides top-quality training to more than 900 students a year, and offers opportunities to gain experience in the marine, automotive and aerospace industries. The college’s curriculum has been created in partnership with local industry, to focus on the most relevant and up-to-date techniques. This has helped it become the main learning centre for apprenticeship programmes with companies such as Airbus Defence and Space, BAE Systems, GE Aviation, Virgin Atlantic, the Ministry of Defence and Jensen Motorsport.
WE'RE HERE TO HELP
For more information, introductions and opportunities, please contact:
T: +44 (0)23 9284 1074